Choral Composition Contest
The Mount Hope World Singers, a community chorus based in Rochester, NY, seeks to add an original composition to our repertoire in support of our mission to build community and foster intercultural understanding through engaging, high quality, respectful performance of music in original languages from around the globe.
- 1st prize = $900
- 2nd prize = $600
The deadline was extended to April 5, 2020. To those who submitted a statement of intent, the deadline has been further extended due to the pandemic chaos. Winners will be announced by May 15, 2020.
Winning compositions will be performed by MHWS during the 2020-2021 season.
The competition will be judged by Mount Hope World Singers' Director, Brian White, and Artistic Director, Annika Bentley.
Contest Rules and Submission Guidelines
Participation is open to individual composers of any nationality, age, and experience. Entrants may submit up to 3 compositions each.
Voicing and Instrumentation
- Have a minimum of four vocal parts (SATB) and a maximum of eight vocal parts (SSAATTBB)
- Be of medium to medium-advanced difficulty
- Be roughly 5-7 minutes in length
- Incorporate a maximum of 3 instrumental accompanists (compositions may be a cappella)
- Incorporate two or more distinct cultural styles
Text and Themes
- Feature text in 2 or more languages, one of which should be English
- Thematically reflect the mission of Mount Hope World Singers, which is: Mount Hope World Singers seeks to build community and foster intercultural understanding through engaging, high quality, respectful performance of music in original languages from around the globe
- Utilize text that is either wholly original or in the public domain; a combination of the two is also acceptable
Submission Components and Guidelines
Each entry must include the following materials:
- Full score in PDF format made from music notation software (free software is available at https://musescore.org/en)
- A MIDI recording of the composition, in .MP3 or .WAV format
- A translation of any non-English text
- A brief write-up detailing the composer’s intentions, influences, background, and contact information
- Please submit your work using Google Drive. Google Drive is available to anyone via Gmail or the creation of a free Google account: https://accounts.google.com/signupwithoutgmail
- Please title each file as “<Composer Name>_<File Description>”
- Please use "Mount Hope World Singers Composition Contest" in the subject line of your email
Each entry must be original and not previously published, performed, or awarded a prize in any previous contest or competition.
Composers will retain intellectual property rights for the composition and are free to copyright the work. Mount Hope World Singers will retain performance and printing rights in perpetuity for the winning compositions.
The deadline has been extended to April 5, 2020. We will appreciate a statement of intent by March 1, 2020. Final versions must be submitted by April 5th, 2020 at 11:59 pm EST. (Due to the pandemic, the deadline for submissions has been extended to those who submitted a letter of intent.Winners will be announced by mid-May, 2020.
We welcome your submissions
Please do not hesitate to contact us at RochesterMHWS@gmail.com with any questions or concerns. We look forward to receiving your work!